Tuesday 12 February 2013

Besan ke parathe (Indian bread with wheat n gram flour)

It happens to me sometimes that I just don feel like making or eating a meal. Well! that just impossible in any normal Indian home because a meal is a meal and a meal is really a meal. Huh! I mean who said that.....Actually who has set these rules....us or our ancestors. Cant we just crave for something out of nothing. 
Now friends please don't think I forgot to eat and that's why I m hallucinating....I m not. I do feel like settling for a plain paratha with just loads of pickle and still feel the satisfaction of a king. Is it really possible? 

The besan ka paratha is one of the parathas which saves me from any painstaking pre-preparation and makes my mouth water while m still making them. The myth buster recipe calls for minimal effort and I love the taste of it with anything. Be it curd, pickle or even just plain.......its worth it. Some people might find it a bit too plain or dry but I feel sorry for them good for myself ......Now come on how many recipes are there which require minimal effort and still be tasty and mind it healthy too. Look on guys.....happy cookin ....But dont abandon my blog if you dont like it.... he he he (my sheepish grin).



Ingredients:

2 cups wheat flour
1cup besan (gram flour)
3 tbs soyabean flour (optional)
2 medium onions chopped finely
3-4 green chillies finely chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
1 tsp kalonji (nigella seeds)
2 tbs oil
salt to taste

Method:
You can change the ratio of the gram flour and the wheat flour according to your taste. More the gramflour more crispy is the paratha. I like the taste of this besan/gram flour based paratha as the besan gives different texture and taste to it. I do make paratha using other flours also but I ll discuss some other day. Take a big bowl and add the flours. Add the salt, ajwain seeds (good for digestion), kalonji seeds, chopped onion, turmeric powder, chillies and the 2 tbs oil. Rub with your fingers till it resembles breadcrumbs. Now knead a stiff dough using little water at a time. It will become little messy towards the end but dont worry. Just add few drops of oil and smoothen the dough. Keep aside for 10 min. Roll into round chapatis and fry on low to medium flame on a tawa with least oil possible. Cook on both sides till crispy. The low heat might take time to cook but the results are crispier that the usual parathas. So worth all the efforts. Serve with pickles, curd or just roll and go the Nigella way....I mean roll and take a big bite and chew your way to gluttony glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloo paratha (Indian bread stuffed with potato)

Utter the name of aloo paratha and the unanimous reaction will yummmm!. My stomach starts rumbling even if m just thinking of aloo parat...